ActionAid has been present in the Arab Region since the mid 2000’s, implementing programmes focusing predominantly on young people. In 2018 our new regional strategy People’s Action for Equity and Social Justice in the Arab Region 2018-2022 – identified three programme priorities:
- Humanitarian Response and Protection
- Women's Rights
- Youth Civic and Political Participation
Cross-cutting our programmes priorities are the issues of women’s rights, social cohesion and accountability and transparency.
A just and equitable Arab region in which every person enjoys the right to a life of dignity, freedom from poverty and all forms of oppression.
To achieve social justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication by working with women and young people living in poverty and exclusion, their communities, people’s organisations, social movements and supporters.
Mutual Respect, requiring us to recognise the innate worth of all people and the value of diversity.
Equity and Justice, requiring us to ensure the realisation of our vision for everyone, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, race, ethnicity, caste, class, age, HIV status, disability, location and religion
Integrity, requiring us to be honest, transparent and accountable at all levels for the effectiveness of our actions and our use of resources and open in our judgements and communications with others
Solidarity with People Living in Poverty and Exclusion, will be the only bias in our commitment to the fight against poverty, injustice, and gender inequality
Courage of Conviction, requiring us to be creative and radical, bold and innovative – without fear of failure - in pursuit of making the greatest possible impact on the causes of poverty, injustice, and gender inequality
Independence, from any religious or party-political affiliation
Humility, recognising that we are part of a wider alliance against poverty and injustice. We are committed to applying a feminist lens and values in our work, which will guide us in interpreting and advancing our mission and these values.
Who We Work With
- Working with women, young people and their organisations that share in our Mission, Vision and Values to achieve transformative social and political change.
- Working with partners who recognise that advancing the rights of women and young people is critical to achieving positive social change.
- Collaboration with research institutions and academia to expand our frontiers of knowledge, building credible evidence that will allow for constructive engagement with policy and decision makers.
- Seek collaboration and partnership with the media to highlight the issues of women and young people facing injustice and promote their demands for change.
- Link with Network service providers and tech companies to explore digital solutions to further our work and also reach beyond our immediate constituency.
Where we Work
- Beqaa/Joub Jannine